PLEASE "like" our fanpage!

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

4:57



I did well as a distance runner in high school in the 80's and 90's. Clearly I had some talent and I worked hard. I loved the mile and that was my favorite event.

I remember very well my first mile race. It was the "alumni mile." During halftime of the Friday night home football game the cross country team challenged the alumni to a mile race.

I finished 5th and ran 5:05.

In the spring I ran 4:55 in my mile first race and my best that year was 4:49. I didn't even qualify to run at the district state meet that year.

As a sophomore I ran 4:40 and as a junior I ran 4:32.

I had some natural leg speed and I ran a lot of miles so I got stronger as I got older. I trained a lot during the off season and I always gave my all in races.

One day in February of 1991 I ran the perfect race on a perfect day and lowered my best from 4:32 to 4:24. I set the school record that day and that record stood for 18 years. Today the school record at my high school is 4:15.

The race I ran 4:24 was truly epic. It was at the state championships. Do you know what place I finished? I was 6th in that race.

In college I went on to run 4:16 in 1994 and that is my all-time personal best.

I tell you all this for what reason?

4:57.

What is 4:57?

I was walking around the campus of a local high school on Monday. I thought is was cool that the Track and Fiend school records were on a board outside. Awesome! Of course I zeroed in on the distance records and was shocked and disturbed that the school record was 4:57.

What happened to my sport? Why can't kids run faster than 4:57? To be honest I really am deeply saddened by the trends nowadays. Distance running is a dying sport.

I guess today's blog is a little bit of a downer. I didn't mean for that but I always write about what is on my heart and to see my sport struggling so much is hard for me to take.

I know that distance running is Lake County Florida is a not a big thing. I know there as so many different options for kids in this day and age. I know that ball sports and team sports are more glamorous. It's to hot....the list goes on and on.

I really don't know the true reason for the nationwide decline in the sport of distance running.

I guess it just is what it is.

I will finish with a happy thought. I was a runner in high school and it helped to form who I am. Running was and still is a blessing to me. I am a runner. Running created life long bonds and friendships that I will never lose with people that are amazing. Running connected us.

The memories of the state titles and the championship can never be taken away from me. I was part of an era of fast runners that we may never see again. I am fine with that. Running has giving me so much and I am thankful.

I hope that you gained some incite or perhaps this post got you thinking a little bit. If you got value I would appreciate it you shared with others.

Are you struggling with your weight? You are not alone! Maybe our "Back to school" group 24 Day Challenge is just what you need to kick-start some results!

What is the 24 Day Challenge? 6 minute Video: http://www.24daychallengemovie.com/ 

It you already now and AdvoCare distributor then get with them and get started. If you don't know one then Teresa and I would be honored to coach you.

Please let me know if you have any questions! 

To your success!
Rick Copley | Your Best Fitness Coach  | "Empowering YOU to be a champion" 
Your Best Fitness Coach Facebook Page |Instagram: @rickcopley 
352-989-6795 | rick@yourbestfitnesscoach.com


No comments:

Post a Comment