PLEASE "like" our fanpage!

Monday, December 27, 2010

Pied Piper



I don’t know why I have the image of the Pied Piper in my mind. It really makes me laugh; the thought of it. Can you envision it?

Down the Main Street in your town is a big Gold’s Gym or Anytime Fitness banner parading down the street playing music. In droves people line up. They follow; they don’t know why, they just follow.



I think it’s the guilt that wells up after a year of 5 more pounds or another injury or that sickness that just won’t go away. We are all so vulnerable on January 1st and the health clubs know it!

For months the clubs have been getting ready to take advantage of you. They know that you are thinking. They know what you want. They know how to make it appear like you are going to get it when you join their gym. They play their music for you to hear. They play it loud. Just like last year... you will follow. Just like last year only about 25% of you will be successful. Sigh….

I have spent MANY January’s in the health club industry. I have worked many long hours and been denied days off in the month of January. Man, the clubs know how to get people in the doors in that month. It is ALWAYS the most profitable month of the year. People are primed and ready to follow.

It’s like a revolving door though because it’s in one month and gone the next.

Every notice how there are no longer lines for the treadmill in March?

OK, you know that this is a good time of year for self reflection, right? You know that one of the first things we think of during self reflection time is….well, your reflection. Since obesity rates keep climbing I will venture a guess that most people don’t like what they see. We want to change but we don’t know how!
Then we see the ads. Yes, the big gyms spend most of their marketing budgets about RIGHT NOW.  They show images of hot bodies and excited kids and fun classes and… blah, blah, blah. You fall for it and there you are in the gym staring at all this equipment and an 18 year old with a cell phone showing you how to use it. A couple of “consultations” (Gyms with real gumption call them “Personal Training Sessions”. Grrrr….”) and you are on your own.

You are on your own. After a couple of weeks of struggle it becomes a chore because you don’t look like the models yet and you are hurt or sick or sore….

The reasons you joined the gym fade quickly. 5 days a week turns to 2 to 1 then….you stop all together.
You pay your membership for a few months because you “going back” then finally you sneak in one day and cancel. (You know they won’t let you cancel over the phone. Smart, very smart)

Does this scenario sound familiar?

What do you say you break that cycle this year?

Come to my classes. You’ll pay about the same. ($125 for 3 months of unlimited classes!) You will get personalized instruction from a FITNESS PROFESSIONAL (One day, a lady, who was trying my class, asked me what I did for a living. It was like a deer in the headlights moment: THIS is what I do for a living; I Eat and breath fitness 24/7/365. (366 on a leap year)) each and every time you walk in the door. You get daily emails. You don’t get lost in a sea of equipment and classes. You don’t have to worry about what you are going to do when you go to work out. It is programmed for you.

What I do is unique and it works. Is it hard? Hell yeah! Does it work? HELL YEAH.

The choice is up to you.

Go to a health club (again) and get lost in a sea of machines that don’t work or come join my program and develop functional fitness, loose weight and look better.


I don’t know. I think I’ll go for the coach with the 10+ years experience that lives and breathes the fitness life over that bicep curl machine…just sayin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment